On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 01:11:37 +0000
Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 07 Jan 2012 at 11:49:08 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > Did you try without the Modeline? As far as I know X should be able
> > to compute it based on HorizSync, VertRefresh and Modes.
>
> X may indeed do this but, after commenting out Modeline, the best it
> could offer was 1024x768.
>
> > Also, it might be interesting to pass DisplaySize so that DPI is
> > correct.
>
> Nothing doing here, either.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions; they did as an incentive to review what I
> did a couple of years ago but using a Modeline does appear to be my
> only solution. No EDID information is available, by the way, because
> there is an ancient KVM between the machines and the monitor.

Try without the "ancient KVM"?

I've been plagued with similar problems for years.  A couple of days
ago, in a uncharacteristic flash of clarity, I finally solved it by
switching to a shorter VGA cable.  Apparently the old cable (actually a
short cable and an extension) exceeded the allowable noise threshold.

Since switching... no more problems with monitor misconfiguration.

jeff