On Wed 25 Jan 2012 at 09:56:15 +0000, Rémi Moyen wrote:

> OK, so now I get what I think should be a working up-to-date testing
> system. Rebooting on the 2.6.32 kernel works again perfectly. But
> rebooting on the 3.1 kernel starts to boot (it prints at least the
> "waiting for udev to be populated" message) and then all I get is a
> blank screen. Some messages get displayed before, but so fast that I
> have no hope to even catch a glimpse of a word. The screen flickers
> when it becomes black, at about the time where in the 2.6 kernel the
> screen resolution changes, so I guess this is the step that fails.
> With the blank screen, I can't do anything. Keyboard seems dead (at
> least "Caps Lock" doesn't respond, although "Num Lock" does). The
> machine is still alive and can be logged-on remotely, but that's all.
> I didn't see anything strange in syslog or dmesg, but I might have
> missed something.

The Squeeze kernel is happy to use nouveau with your card so you
would expect the Wheezy one to be equally content. Testing also
produces a visible display, which surely it wouldn't if there was no
video driver to work with. Comparing dmesg for both boots may show
differences. Look for 'drm' and 'nouveau'. Post both if you so wish.

This dead keyboard: does it not respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL?

And is the final screen really blank? In the past day or so Wheezy
installs a getty which clears the screen before displaying a login
prompt. That's a long shot because I cannot see you missing it and
you were very detailed in describing your observations.