Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Keith McKenzie a écrit :
> > Ramon Hofer wrote:
> >> What am I doing wrong?

Personally I would install a different network card for the
installation and then get through the install part.  Then after the
system is running I would install the new drivers when the onboard
network card is working.  Sometimes that is years later.  But...

> > I don't think you did anything wrong; but it would seem that the
> > extracted filesystem is not a cramfs file system. At one time they were
> > just ext2fs, but times change.
>
> As mentionned in the above page, "new-style" initrds are actually
> initramfs, i.e. gzipped CPIO archives, not filesystems.

Try running 'file' on it to see what type it is that you have:

  $ file /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-1-amd64
  /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-1-amd64:  gzip compressed data, from Unix, last
modified: Sun Feb 26 16:10:20 2012

But here is one from the netinst disk:

  $ file initrd.gz
  initrd.gz: gzip compressed data, was "initrd", from Unix, last modified: Mon
Jan 23 01:53:00 2012, max compression
  $ gunzip < initrd.gz > /tmp/initrd
  $ file /tmp/initrd
  /tmp/initrd: ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC)

For cpio archives try:

  # mkdir initrd-tmpdir
  # cd initrd-tmpdir
  # cpio -id < /tmp/initrd

It will try to make dev/console and dev/null and so needs root to be
able to make those correctly.  Then looking for kernel modules this
might be useful:

  $ find . -name '*.ko'
And:
  $ find . -name jme.ko
  lib/modules/2.6.32-5-486/kernel/drivers/net/jme.ko

To pack up the initrd requires some special options to create the
correct type of cpio archive.

  $ find . | cpio -H newc -o | gzip > /tmp/initrd-new.gz

HTH,
Bob