2012/3/5 Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.u...@gmail.com>

> > Just to clarify with Kelly about what "complicated" stands for :-)
> >
> > IMHO you are going to get what you want in two steps:
> > killall pulseaudio && aptitude install jackd qjackctl
> >
> > regards
> > -r
>
> "what you want" meaning a complicated setup that allows WOW and Skype to
> co-exist - but requires you to fiddle with every upgrade, and more
> fiddling for every application that requires sound.
>
> With the greatest respect - though you've invested a great deal in the
> belief that pulseaudio is bad, it's not a belief shared by the upstream
> developers of most applications (or more importantly, Debian).
>
> PA doesn't stop you using JACK - it's one of many sound systems that
> work just fine *under* PA (I run Ardour). Contrary to some commentary -
> PA is just a foreman, not a wheelbarrow.
>
> There's a number of things that PA can do[*1], that [insert pet sound
> system here] can't do. The reverse is not true - because PA allows you
> to run [insert pet sound system here].
>
> Kind regards

Hi,

FOA, let's say I am not interested in starting a flame war nor arguing with
you or anybody else about jack vs pulse.

   -  jack and PA are completely different (
   http://jackaudio.org/pulseaudio_and_jack) so there's no use in listing
   what PA can and can not do
   -  jack is intended for audio pro but it can address low/high level
   tasks without fiddling with upgrades as you claim.
   - you run ardour but how many apps are you coupling with it? using
   jamin? hydrogen? guitarix? synth? well all those apps can be controlled and
   synced by jack with a high level of complexity in the connection graph. Can
   you do it with PA (answer to yourserlf)?
   - belive it or not, pulseaudio does not address pro audio needs
   - debian devs are right in using PA, they must aim at the average user

last: I have SUGGESTED hime to give it a try (killall pulseaudio != remove
pulseaudio)

[insert your favourite pet system sound here]

regards :-)
-r