On 09/04/12 03:53, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.u...@gmail.com> [120408 17:39]:
>> though we would love to find another multi-platform, easy to install
>> voip program, preferably open source, to replace it.
>
> I also need such a package.
>
> It appears to me that Ekiga (formerly gnomemeeting) is a good
> solution.  Am I mistaken?

No, you're not mistaken, just probably seeking a solution to a different
problem (lucky you!).

Thanks for reminding me to take another look at Ekiga.

Blink, Jitis, Linphone, Mumble, QuteCom, and Yate are other interesting
programs.
None of which completely cover the range of platforms I require, though
I have a soft spot for Linphone.

> Ideally, it should be sufficiently similar and simple, so that I could
> persuade the other guy (who almost invariably is running Skype on a
> Window$ box) to install Ekiga.

That's part of my specifications - though I really want something that
allows me to communicate with everyone, from everything I use
telecommunications with.

An open protocol is important - but so is commercial adoption in order
to have a competitive market for connections to mobile and landlines.

A primary requirement is that whatever the solution - it be available in
Debian, availability and support on other distros and platforms is a bonus.

> RLH

I'm after a solution to a problem that Ekiga only partially solves.
It does have some features I like - but it doesn't fully replace the
features of Skype. And I do want to replace Skype - in the unlikely
event that Skype open sourced[*1] their codecs I'd still want to move
the bulk of my telecommunications to a more competitive protocol.

My ideal solution is something a non-technical person can easily
configure. Meaning it must be capable of being installed by a chicken -
put bread on Enter key - keep tapping Enter.

It doesn't work well on low-speed, low latency connections. That's a
problem that may not be solvable.

I may have to compromise and use multiple VOIP solutions, as part of my
needs is to be able to communicate with non-technical people who have no
interest in learning why commercially popular applications are not the
only, or the best, solutions.

[*1] yes, I know it's been reversed, but that's not the solution I'm
looking for. Additionally there's still only one player in the price
setting market for landlines and mobile connections. And Skype is *not*
cheap compared to other players.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-