On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:48:23 +0200, Paul Seyfert wrote:

> Okay,
> I don't precisely know what fixed it but now the font is correctly
> displayed for me. deleting files from /usr/share/fonts/ somewhat brought
> unreproducible results.

You deleted all the fonts under "/usr/share/fonts/" path? :-?

> I started font-manager (which I believed to be inactive since I
> commented out the corresponding entries in ~/.fonts.conf). In debuging
> earlier I added the symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot to the user
> fonts of the font-manager (didn't help back then). Now I removed
> symbol.ttf from the font manager and restored /usr/share/fonts to how
> my standard package installation prepared it. Now the plot gets
> displayed correctly.

Not sure about the steps you did but what solved the problem for me was
renaming/moving MS TrueType Symbol font from "/usr/local/share/fonts/"
thus forcing the system to use another one.

> my conclusion:
> - no idea what went wrong before I installed font-manager

I don't think this is something related to font-manager :-?

> - symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot is behaving strangely
>   using it for displaying causes wrong displaying of non embedded greek
>   letters.

The behaviour you get is similar to mine, despite in my case the source
of the symbol font was different than yours.

> - if you create pdfs always embed fonts

Always, always, always... some recommendations are good in theory but not
that good when you put in practice :-P

- I learned the gs command to repair pdfs.

By reinjecting/embedding the fonts, that's indeed a good trick when you
have no access to the original document.

- ttf files not only help displaying fonts, they can also break it.

This is not because of TTF but a bug coming from a different place (in
wheezy the problem is not present even using symbol.ttf).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón