Hendrik Boom <hend...@topoi.pooq.com> writes:

> It has been my practice when upgrading between Debian releases to make
> bootable copies of the OS partitions on my hard drive so that if things
> go badly wrong I still have a bootable system.

How did you make such copies?

> This wirked fine with LILO and GRUB 1, where I was in control of
> configuratino files and could explicitly specifiy which root partitions
> went with which boot partitions/
>
> But when installing grub2 to an MBR. all this is automated.  It looks
> around on the available disks and figures out shoch partition goes with
> which.
>
> Of course, after I've made my copy (with slight changes to /etc/fstab) I
> have two nearly identical sets of partitions, so it may be tricky to tell
> them apart.  Is grub2 clever enough to figure it all out anyway?  And
> what data does it use to this end? (so I can make sure it's right!)

Are you referring to grub figuring it out when booting or to grub
figuring it out while it's being installed?  (In any case, I don't know
any of the answers ...)

There needs to be a way for grub to figure out where to look for its
configuration.  Perhaps this information is stored in the MBR when
installing grub.  In that case, you would have a problem when grub
cannot find its configuration there anymore (like because the
partitioning has changed) and maybe a problem if it finds the wrong
configuration.

--
Debian testing amd64