On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 09:15:58 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> 1. I'm looking for something similar to a quick reference card one might
> have carried in a shirt pocket.

Like this?

http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#refcard

> I want something organized by function rather than alphabetically. What
> I found with Google were too verbose and organized alphabetically.
>
> 2. At the moment I do not have a functioning Linux system so I am
> getting man pages from
> http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi . That generally works fine.

Well, man pages are a bit "spartan" and their main goal is not explaining
concepts but arguments that you can append to the commands.

> At the end of many pages is something similar to:
>
> <BEGIN QUOTE>
> SEE ALSO
>         The  full  documentation  for cp is maintained as a
> Texinfo manual.  If
>         the info and cp programs are properly installed at
> your site, the  com-
>         mand
>
>                info coreutils 'cp invocation'
>
>         should give you access to the complete manual.
> <END QUOTE>
>
> How do I find "the complete manual" on the WEB?

You mean the "info" pages? You have to run the suggested command "as is",
e.g.:

info coreutils 'cp invocation'

Greetings,

--