On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:03:13 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 09/17/2012 12:01 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:21:06 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm probably going to regret this...
>>
>> <sarcasm>
>>
>> And I wonder why >:-)
>>
>> </sarcasm>

(...)

> Or in other words: because the people who respond may not be reasonable,
> and I'm no longer as thick-skinned in an argument as I used to be.

It was a rhetorical question expressed with a bit of <properly tagged>
sarcasm. I guess we all can imagine why you said so, no explanation
needed.

>>> How?
>
>> If you can solve a simple problem like that I wonder what would you do
>> when your computer can't start at all...
>
> For many people, the answer is "panic".

I can confirm the panic in that scenario, even for not so newbie users,
like me.

> Does that mean they shouldn't get to have one in the first place?

(...)

No, it means that panic can be treated with reading. Reading (and the
ensuing understanding on how this stuff works) is a "must" for every
computer user. There are no work-arounds, bypasses or magic hints to
avoid this step.

By telling the users that "installing an OS is easy and can be done in
few clicks" you're not only deliberately omiting the truth but also
giving them a poisoned present: the snake will bite you afterwards and
you don't have -and what is worst, you don't even know where/how to get-
the antidote because _you have been told_ that there were no snakes in
the box...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón