Albretch Mueller <lbrt...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Because your disk is sleeping?
> ~
>  That I think may be the reason why. I did notice and check that it
> always seems to happen after suspending my box, even if you unmount
> all drives before, but what I don't get is that may people would be
> complaining about that same problem. I have seem people complaining
> all the time about hardware-related issues with suspending a box, but
> not such delays and I always thought when you awaken your box after
> suspending it, it should go to its initial state.

It should go back to where you suspended or hibernated it, and it
doesn't.  If your disk is sleeping because its power management decided
to turn it off, it can take a while for it to wake up.  It might be a
good idea to check the power management settings with something like
hdparm.

> Is there a way to "awaken" all harddrive/partitions you are using?

fdisk -l seems to do that.  However, it's difficult to reasonably put to
sleep a disk which has partitions on it that are mounted, and it's very
questionable if it's reasonable to do so (unless it's an SSD maybe, if
those can be put to sleep at all).

How much money and energy do you actually save by putting disks to sleep
when you consider the possibility of increased wear and perhaps having
to replace them sooner than would otherwise be necessary?  Are there any
good studies aimed to answer this question?

--
Debian testing amd64