On 28/09/12 13:52, Jon Dowland wrote:
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 01:23:59PM +0100, Dom wrote:
It *is* possible that smartctl is mis-interpretting the status of
your disk, but given your slow fdisk command I suspect not.

Time to backup, backup, backup, buy a new disk and transfer the data
over asap.

YES to backup, but it's worth changing your SATA cable before investing
in a new disk, or at least ensuring your current one is seated properly.
Try to measure the *rate* that Hardware_ECC_Recovered is increasing over
a set period of time, check/replace cable, measure again.

Good points, which I did think of *after* I'd posted my comment.

Good catch. :-)

--
Dom