Brian wrote in previous post:
The sudo package is installed and the user added to group sudo. If
>"apt-get install gdm3" installed gd3 this is either a misobservetion
>or the discovery of a massive security problem.

I'm beginning to suspect "massive security problem."
I'm going have to create and test a preseed file so someone else can duplicate what I'm doing. I've been reading about preseeding but haven't actually done it yet. I'm doing things that a likely very atypical, but I believe legal. I'm seeing other unexpected things.
Got only 3-4 hours sleep last night, I'll call it a day.