One other thing to add here - Upon initial connection, TB has no
problems getting the list of messages.  That pops up right away.  It's
only when selecting an unread message that it hangs as described below.
 It flags the message as "read" but never gets off "downloading
message...." until I click another message and then click the one I was
just trying to access, at which point it displays fine.  Clicking
another message (already read) does cause it to open a new connection to
the IMAP server though.  I've been using TB forever (note: this is on a
different computer, not local to the Debian box) and it never behaved
this way prior to the switch to Debian and Dovecot.

So if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them... :-)