On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:01:34 +0100, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:01:43 +0100, Richard Owlett
<rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:
Couldn't use the new package as there was an unfulfilled
dependency.

[sarcasm] # dpkg -i --force-depends fishy.deb [/sarcasm]

I don't mind [sarcasm] at all. Especially when it educates and possibly solves a problem.

The dependency problem was that I had a slightly older version than the package "required".
#dpkg -i --force-depends fishy.deb
apparently succeeded.

Would that --force-depends had effect all the way down a chain of dependencies just looking for the latest revision of each?

Yes, you only can keep it for testing purpose. If you would try to install anything else, you couldn't do it. You first have to uninstall the package.

If it should work without the dependency, you can build a dummy package, that fakes to fulfill the dependency, then you don't need to uninstall it.

To build a dummy package there's equivs http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html, it's not an "Obsolete Documentation". Assumed some day another package needs this dependency, the dummy package could cause trouble. It's better to use "--force-depends" only, if you are developing something, or compiling something and the needed dependency will be installed later.

It's not a solution for your issue to use "--force-depends".