Robert Brockway grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013, David Guntner wrote:
>
>> So it might actually be safer to let it hand the mail off to Postfix

(Which, just to be clear, is done by fetchmail's default action, which
is to hand off the mail via the SMTP port; not specifically by invoking
Postfix or whatever MTA you have installed.)

>> (and let *that* handle Procmail) anyway....
>
> There are a few options here:
>
> (1) Use maildrop (not to be confused with MailDrop).  Like procmail but
> safer (apparently).  Home site: http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/

Mentioned in the part of the manpage I quoted.  However, I know nothing
of maildrop and how to do its filtering rules, nor have I the time to
spend rewriting a .procmailrc into a (I presume) .maildroprc format once
I've learned it.  For someone not already using Procmail, though, that
is certainly a possibility.

> (2) Use a catch-all rule at the end of .procmailrc so that even if mail
> falls through it goes somewhere other than /dev/null.

Also mentioned in the manpage I quoted:  It doesn't say that the errant
filter error sends to /dev/null, but there's a risk a message will end
up in an unexpected location.

> (3) Keep a backup of all email.  I have my personal MTAs (running
> Postfix) keep a copy of all email that passes through them.  If
> something somewhere (procmail/maildrop/imapfilter/whatever) drops the
> ball I can always go to my mail backup account and recover the mail
> item.  Yes this doubles mail storage requirements, but you know what -
> disk is cheap[1].

If you're telling fetchmail to invoke Procmail or Maildrop directly,
aren't you *bypassing* Postfix processing?

> I do this using the Postfix config option "always_bcc=".

In which case, the above option is pretty meaningless.... :-)

Also, disk is only cheap if you have the money to spend.  Not everyone
does.  But that's just an aside.

> Note: Anyone implmenting a solution like this should take in to account
> privacy laws in relevant jurisdictions (where they are, where the MTA
> is, etc).

I'm not entirely sure how privacy laws come into play here, given we're
talking about a way to pull in mail from several sources for an
individual, *by* that individual running a cron job or whatever.  It's
your mail, coming to you, being delivered to your mailbox.  As far as I
can tell, you can make 8 copies of it and still not violate your own
privacy. :-)

                --Dave