On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 01:36:56AM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2013, Lázaro wrote:
>
> >aptitude search sieve|grep mailutils
>
> I have old mail that needs to be re-sorted.  While I could re-sort
> everything periodically this is resource intensive (with a lot of
> mail) and would be fairly inefficient as most of the mail would not
> need to be re-sorted.
>
> I'm going to be using an opportunistic approach.  Every day (or
> every few hours) a script will randomly pick a mailbox and re-sort
> the contents. Thus over time my mail will approach a state of 'full
> sortedness' :)

Why not let your MUA do your sorting for you?
i.e. any mail by a certain author, any mail between certain dates, any
mail with "mysearchterm" in the body, etc, etc,

That way it doesn't matter what order the messages are in the actual
mailbox, but you can choose how the messages are "displayed" giving the
appearance of actually having been sorted.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X