From: David Guntner [mailto:dav...@akamail.net]

> Mark Allums grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >
> > I tried and failed, but I didn't spend more than a couple of hours on
it. I
> > never managed to completely fix the dependency chain for getting the
> Ubuntu
> > package to install cleanly. Do you have any tips that you can remember?
> What
> > Debian release are you running? i386 or amd64?
> >
> > I doubt Steam will be expanding their distro support any time soon.
Looks
> > me like they engaged Ubuntu some time ago to get the compiled in
> support
> > they wanted.
>
> I have no idea who's being quoted here, but I think the first paragraph
> is someone other than Mark, and the bottom is Mark.
>
> Mark, PLEASE don't top-post, and please try to follow a (literally)
> decades-old established quote-and-reply convention with an attribute
> line at the top and and ">" showing quotations (kinda like this message
> does :-) ).  If you can't get Outlook to do it, perhaps you can switch
> to a mail program that makes it easier to follow those conventions?  I
> use Thunderbird, myself, but there are plenty around that do the job
> nicely.  I suspect that many of us reading this list will thank you.
<grin>

You have it the wrong way around.  In fact, none of that is me at all.  I am
generally aware of the quoting conventions.

> Anyway, on to my actual reply.... ;-)
>
> I don't know what kind of time-table they have set for themselves, but
> given Valve's increasing interest in the Linux market, I'd be willing to
> bet that once their open beta testing period is over with, they'll start
> expanding to other Linux distribution packaging systems, and may well
> even provide a method for installing software without a package manager
> (a'la tarball, etc.).  I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time. :-)
>
>               --Dave

Thanks for your reply.  I am a bit skeptical that many distributions will be
officially supported.  Certainly Ubuntu and direct derivatives, possibly
Debian and direct derivatives, probably Fedora and some other RPM-based
distros such as OpenSuSE.  Slackware, Arch, and Gentoo are likely out of
luck.