On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 09:49:57AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 02:39:27AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:03:31PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I'm curious about how you can know that -every- From: address was valid.
> > > I think I do not understand how to make such a determination about where
> > > my mail is actually coming from. I would like to learn.
> >
> > Compare envelope from (not the From: header) to the Received: headers.
> >

> You presume to much about my knowledge. I use mutt. I turn on full headers.
> Which line in what I see is the 'envelope from'?

The one right at the top beginning 'From ' (without a colon).

> Which are the 'Received: headers'?

The ones beginning 'Received:'

> Are there also headers that are not 'Received:'?

The ones which don't begin 'Received:'

> Is it truly impossible for a program to spoof an 'envelope form'?

No, it's dead easy, but swen doesn't appear to do it. I've looked at a
couple of sets of swen headers; the envelope from was
'From [EMAIL PROTECTED]' and the originating IP in the
it does seem plausible that swen's envelope from is not spoofed. No
idea why not though.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons