On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM, keshav prabhakar <kes...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Networking is setup by the kernel boot parameters that are on the 'append'
> line. It looks like this:
>
>      append initrd=Debian-6.0.7-amd64/netboot/initrd.gz interface=eth1
> domain=mydomain netcfg/get_nameservers=x.x.x.x
> netcfg/get_hostname=myhostname locale=en_US debian-installer/country=US
> debian-installer/language=en debian-installer/keymap=us
> console-keymaps-at/keymap="American English" auto=true priority=critical
> preseed/url=http://192.168.1.12/anaconda/cfg/preseed.cfg
>
> There are two interfaces (eth0 and eth1) on the client. eth1 is connected to
> the pxeboot server, which is an internal setup (hence the 'interface=eth1'
> on append line to fetch preseed.cfg). eth0 goes out to the Internet thru' a
> proxy (which is defined in my preseed.cfg).
>
> I added the other boot parameters (domain=, get_hostname, locale, etc.) on
> 'append' line so that these questions are not asked by the installer. It
> works as expected. That is, all these questions are skipped when I boot but
> it then starts connecting to ftp.us.debian.org for some reason..

Please bottom-post.

When you define "interface=eth1" in your "append" statement, the
entire installation's meant to be done via this NIC. I doubt that you
can switch the NICs around via your preseed file as you're trying to
do - as is evidenced by the fact that d-i tries to contact debian.org
via your internal NIC.

Perhaps you can add "d-i netcfg/choose_interface seen false" then "d-i
netcfg/choose_interface select eth0" to your preseed file to switch
the NICs. I've never used "<anything> seen false" so this might not be
the correct use for it. AFAIK, it's used for you to be prompted for
that value not to reset it in order to pass it through the same
preseed file.

You might also want to add "DEBCONF_DEBUG=5" to the "append" line to
get more information about the failure but the latter's cause seems
quite clear nonetheless.