On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 09:23 +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 01:33:41 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 15:25 -0700, Scott Linnenbringer wrote:
> > > Facebook stores every wall post, private message, photo, etc even
> > > after you remove from wall, delete or untag.
> >
> > In some countries this is forbidden.
> >

> Meaning that only the government can do it.
>
> But if forbidden things didn't have a way of happening, we would have
> no need for police, prisons etc., the existence of the law would
> guarantee good behaviour.
>
> It is safest to assume that any available technology *will* be used by
> one's own government, and any private organisations large enough to
> lean on members of that government.

I agree with this, at the moment a lawyer is helping me, regarding to a
data protection issue, that has to do with a German department. This
department needs information about me, so they need a file containing
this + tons of other information. They want to archive the file and
"guarantee" that nobody in their house will read anything, but the
needed information only. I want to give them the needed information only
and not the complete file. It's an expert report and I want an
independent expert to do it and to give them just the needed
information, but they want the report from their own expert.

That is completely against the "idea" of the German law, even the lawyer
said, that I'm right, but it's normal and we can't do much against it.
This is about a file made of paper.

I guess they don't do it in bad faith, they simply don't think about
data protection. However, the times are changing and misuse is very
likely. I once was in private contact with a women working for a German
department and she verified what I've written her privately, without the
permission to do it. Since I'm not a liar she only get the same
information I already gave her, but it's anyway not correct to do it and
does show how (un)save data is at German departments.

OTOH the commissioner for data protection is interested, when there are
issues regarding to computer data protection. If you like, you can send
each spam you received to the commissioner for data protection and (s)he
will directly forward it to the public prosecution department and they
directly take action. The problem here usually are servers in other
countries. You'll get a mail that the German public prosecution
department is working together with public prosecution departments of
other nations to fight against some very dangerous spammers. Note, not
all spam mail simply is ludicrous, some spam is dangerous for
inexperienced computer users.

IOW, if Facebook would have servers in Germany, they need to offer the
German government something very useful or they need to follow the
German law. I don't think that Facebook can offer something very useful
to a government, OTOH Facebook can offer useful information for
companies, such as the once from the food processing industry/mafia and
their lobby might have marionettes who are members of the German
government.

Sure, there are security wholes and you need self-responsibility and
need to fight against misuse and most people are neither
self-responsible, nor do they fight against misuse of their data. You
can test it, randomly call a phone number and ask for private data using
a trick or simply take a look in the headers of some mails, sometimes
you see private servers and you can get telephone numbers and addresses
of people who want to be anonyme at e.g. denic.de within a few seconds.

But again, I really don't know what Facebooks offers, that so many
people are subscribed to it. Is there something we could use Facebook
for? I'm a lone wolf, it's work for me to keep up a hand full of
friends, I'm unable to do it for 500 virtual friends and I don't see
anything useful in it. Btw. the handful of friends I've got don't
devastate my possession and I don't want to have "friends" from Facebook
doing this.

IIUC Facebook is for people who are unable to do something useful with
the less time we have to live, instead of learning, being creative, they
tend to be destructive, uninterested in science and arts etc., but they
like to party, to party and to party.