I have two 3TB Seagate external HDs. They were purchased from different stores at slightly different times earlier this year, here in Colorado. I want them to have ext4 file systems on them, excepting if someone on this list can give a reason otherwise. I have googled and gotten a lot of hits, which indicate to me that this is a well known problem. Unfortunately, I have difficulty following the instructions, and all my efforts have not reached a successful conclusion. Now with further trys, it seems to me that stuff has been written onto the drives that needs to be wiped off because I get messages that from the disk utility in xfce4 that it won't overwrite a disk with data on it.

So I want to use dd to wipe a complete drive.
For this I have found the following:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=1M
In the above, I have already changed the HD device to sdg (from sda), but I wonder about bs=1M. Could the process go faster with a larger block size? What are the criteria for choosing a value for bs? And, how long should a 3T wipe take to complete? The job has been running for about 12 hours. Would it go faster with a different bs? Faster enough to make the waste of 12hrs running worthwhile? Is there some way to invoke an 'progress indicator' for dd? And, in general, is there a better way?

TIA
paul