On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:55:46 -0600, paul condon wrote:

> I have two 3TB Seagate external HDs. They were purchased from different
> stores at slightly different times earlier this year, here in Colorado.
> I want them to have ext4 file systems on them, excepting if someone on
> this list can give a reason otherwise. I have googled and gotten a lot
> of hits, which indicate to me that this is a well known problem.
> Unfortunately, I have difficulty following the instructions, and all my
> efforts have not reached a successful conclusion. Now with further trys,
> it seems to me that stuff has been written onto the drives that needs to
> be wiped off because I get messages that from the disk utility in xfce4
> that it won't overwrite a disk with data on it.
>
> So I want to use dd to wipe a complete drive.

What I do for every new disk before I use it is an exhaustive read/write
check with badblocks.  It reads and writes every block multiple times
with various bitpatterns and random bitpatterns, and check that they can
be  read correctly.

If there's anything wrong with the drive, I return it to the store for a
replacement.  And yes, I have had to return drives sometimes.  Those
turned out to have thousands of bad blocks, so good riddance.

The process does wipe the drive clean.   And you'll find ouot if the
drive is defective -- it's just possible that that's part of your problem.

Be careful not to do this with the drive that contains your real OS and
data by mistake.

For drives larger than 2 terabytes, use gdisk instead of fdisk.  Read the
online documentation first;  there are significant differences.  In
particular gdisk makes all the changes immediately instead of saving them
up to write them when everything's done.  So there's no leaing things
alone by quitting at the end instead of writing,