On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 19:02 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 09:48 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > (I've been using Linux for about 12 years--switched from the
> > > Amiga, not Windows)
> >
> > I switched from the Atari ST to Linux 10 years ago, but I've got a
> > 80286 hardware emulator mounted inside my 520ST and 4 MB PC RAM
> > replaced the 512 KB, however, I also run DR DOS on that machine and
> > used a lot of 98SE and XP in my life. So I'm also not a native
> > Microsoft user, but I guess everybody of us had to use DOS or Windows
> > sometimes? At school, at work?
>
> The Atari ST.  Remember that one.  It was on my short list when I was
> looking for a personal computer to replace my fried Commodore 64. But I
> chose the Amiga instead. All my reading indicated it had more potential
> as a personal computer.  Too bad Commodore never realized that, and
> drove it into the ground.

I was a musician and audio and video engineer, so I started with the C64
too and then needed to switch to the Atari ST. Atari continued when
Commodore already stopped. The TT and Falcon were much used, especially
the QL community used those computers with the emulator distributed by
Jochen Merz.

> > > Nouveau didn't support 3-D anyway.
> >
> > But now it does work perfectly for my NVIDIA card, that I don't use at
> > the moment, at least for Google Earth.
>
> News to me.  But doesn't really matter.  I don't have or use any 3-D
> apps.  The only games I play are chess, poker and Blackjack, and 2-D
> works just fine. ;-)

I don't need it either, but it is nice to have the possibility to use
transparency or Google Earth if wanted.

Regards,
Ralf