Hi,

I don't see anything strange in the logs provided. Do you see anything
strange in your dmesg, /var/log/daemon.log, etc?

Is the DNS on the server's side working properly? Sometimes when the
reverse DNS is not properly configure some TCP based services get some
delay on first connection: ssh, mysql, etc

Can a network issue  be discarded. Please check with mtr: mtr remote server

Not a solution but a very tiny improvement , launch the tunnel with the -C
(compression) parameter.

Best Regards

Juan Sierra Pons                                 j...@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202       http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00  6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE