Juan Sierra Pons                                 j...@elsotanillo.net
Linux User Registered: #257202       http://www.elsotanillo.net
GPG key = 0xA110F4FE
Key Fingerprint = DF53 7415 0936 244E 9B00  6E66 E934 3406 A110 F4FE

2013/9/10 Sean Alexandre <s...@alexan.org>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:11:17PM +0200, Juan Sierra Pons wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't see anything strange in the logs provided. Do you see anything
> > strange in your dmesg, /var/log/daemon.log, etc?
> >
> > Is the DNS on the server's side working properly? Sometimes when the
> > reverse DNS is not properly configure some TCP based services get some
> > delay on first connection: ssh, mysql, etc
> >
> > Can a network issue  be discarded. Please check with mtr: mtr remote server
> >
> > Not a solution but a very tiny improvement , launch the tunnel with the -C
> > (compression) parameter.
>
> Thanks for looking at this. The other things you list look fine. I did notice
> something else with the log, though. Below I type the line "hello". Then
> there's the 80 second delay. And then there's the log messages after the
> "hello":
>
> debug1: Entering interactive session.
> client> nc localhost 1110
> hello
> debug1: Connection to port 1110 forwarding to localhost port 1212 requested.
> debug2: fd 6 setting TCP_NODELAY
> debug2: fd 6 setting O_NONBLOCK
> debug3: fd 6 is O_NONBLOCK
> debug1: channel 2: new [direct-tcpip]
> debug2: channel 2: open confirm rwindow 2097152 rmax 32768
>
> I think the delay no longer happens, with subsequent lines,  because
> TCP_NODELAY and O_NONBLOCK get set. I wonder if there's a way to configure
> things to set those from the start?
>

> --

Hi,

I have found a kind of workaround:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openssh/bugs/56042
If the ssh client is invoked with:
ssh -N host -R port # TCP_NODELAY is not set
ssh -n host -R port sleep 1d # TCP_NODELAY is set - this is a workaround

Can you try to launch the tunnel without the -N parameter (maybe you
can send later the tunnel to background)

Regards