On 10/26/2013 02:33 PM, Glenn English wrote:

On Oct 26, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Jape Person wrote:

On 10/26/2013 11:09 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 09:19:32AM -0400, Jape Person wrote:
On 10/26/2013 01:18 AM, Glenn English wrote:
There are several Debian machines around, and some of them do an odd thing in
Aptitude:

         lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
         xReally quit Aptitude?x
         x  [ Yes ]    [ No ]  x
         mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

and others don't.

Can anyone tell me what I did to make some of them do that to their ncurses
boxes?

Aptitude is the only place I've seen this (yet), and I've played with locales
and googled and looked at man pages -- no joy. It has something to do with the
VT-100 'graphics' chars, I think, but I can't figure out how to fix it...

TIA

Hi,

Check the Preferences dialog in aptitude. This feature is controlled
by the item:

[] Prompt for confirmation at exit

LOL, I believe he is referring to the strange characters!

OIC. I guess I am the strange character in this case.

The term "locales" should have been a hint.

And I thought I had a chance to be useful -- as something other than comic
relief, I mean.

My apologies for being unclear, but comic relief is always welcome.

I'm fairly certain that I am the only person participating in the thread who is "unclear".

;-)

Yes, it's the strange characters that I'm asking for help with: What makes
Aptitude build dialog boxes out of lower case letters (see above in original
post, from a Wheezy box) instead of lines (see below, approximately, from a
Lenny box)? And how can I get to do lines instead?

                ┌─────────────────────┐
                │Really quit Aptitude?│
                │  [ Yes ]    [ No ]  │

I looked for the Aptitude prefs before in /etc but couldn't find them. It
didn't occur to me that they were in the CTL-T menus. I didn't see anything in
there that might help...

Morten Bo Johansen made the only other reasonable suggestion that occurs to me. But your question is interesting to me because I'm certain that I've seen this behavior before -- but with box drawing characters being messed up in installation scripts rather than in aptitude's ncurses interface.

I think we should know which DE / WM / terminal emulator you are using. I have been poking around in my testing / Xfce environment and don't seem to be able to find a way to make this happen, though I think I could manage if I changed locale settings and / or fiddled around with dependencies enough.

I'm sure you were right to first suspect locale settings. It's really the most obvious culprit. Are those the same for the systems that have the problem and those that don't?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you learn about this. As I said, I know I've seen the behavior before and have been mystified by it, but only briefly because it went away (IIRC) after a reboot.

Jape