On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:55:44 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:

> Well, one thing leads to another.  I started using Epiphany instead of
> iceweasel
> recently due to the sluggish performance of iceweasel.  Now I have a different
> problem.  Using Epiphany, I visited the YouTube site and played a music video.
> The sound didn't sound right.  The voice sounds quieter, and like the singer
> is singing under water!  I canceled out of it, launched iceweasel, and played
> the exact same video again.  Now the sound is messed up in iceweasel too.
> Both browsers appear to be using the same audio player (Adobe Flash Player).
> I tried several other videos, just to make sure that there wasn't something
> weird
> about that particular video, but they all sound strange now.
>
> How do I get YouTube videos to sound right again?  I tried playing around with
> settings in alsamixer, but nothing fixed it.  I'm running an up-to-date jessie
> system.

Well, guys, this is embarrassing.  The solution turned out to be very
simple.  I unplugged the speakers from the audio jack and plugged them
back in again.  Problem solved.  It was a physically loose connection.
Sorry for the noise, (and pardon the pun), and thanks to all who responded.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :