Sorry, I meant this to go to the list...

On 12/21/2013 12:01 PM, François Patte wrote:
Bonjour,

I try to configure fail2ban in order to ban IP which try to connect to
directories protected by .htaccess.

Here is my [apache] section in jail.conf:

enabled  = true
port     = http,https
filter   = apache-auth
logpath  = /var/log/apache*/*error.log
maxretry = 3

But I tested filling the auth form with erroneous login/password and
nothing happens! Nothing appeared in /var/log/fail2ban.log...

You did stop and restart fail2ban after making the changes, right?

I don't use Apache authorization on any of my sites, so I can't duplicate your problem. However, look at your /var/log/apache2.error.log - what is the entry you get there when you get an authorization failure? (btw - I don't use wildcards in my fail2ban entries - don't know if it makes a difference or not.)

Then look at /etc/fail2ban/filter.d - the regex in there must match the entry in your /var/log/apache2/error.log file. The regex in your apache-auth.conf file must match the entry in your error.log file for fail2ban to work (I've found not all fail2ban regex's are accurate).

I tried the same for ssh connections and the IP of the computer from
which I tried was banned after the third attempt.

What is missing in my config?

Here is the ssh section in jail.conf:

enabled  = true
port     = ssh
filter   = sshd
logpath  = /var/log/auth.log
maxretry = 6

Thanks

See above.

As a side, I use iptables ipt_recent module to handle ssh violations. I find it more reliable (no waiting for log entries to be written out).

Jerry