On 30/01/14 16:42, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
>> NO. Stop there! :)
>>
>> Don't open a shell. Just proceed to the next step in the installer and
>> enter the proxy information as asked.
>>
>> The Debian installer will do all that for you.
>
> Somebody above mentioned that there is a bug in the debian installer

Perhaps there is, but I haven't noticed it with Wheezy.

> and you need to manually give the proxy.
> If not what am I supposed to enter there.
> First page on the proxy says that if you need a proxy to access the
> outside world.....
> The format on this page is
> "http://[user][:pass]@host[:port]/";
>
> So I gave http://172.16.4.104:3142/  # I never gave the trailing / before
> and now its working. Feels great to see the packages retrieved at the
> speed of light.

Yes, and it save so much bandwidth.
Might I suggest you install VirtualBox on a development server? It can
make testing builds so much easier.

> Now if I use this as preseed string will it work?
>
> ### Mirror settings
> # If you select ftp, the mirror/country string does not need to be set.
> #d-i mirror/protocol string ftp
> d-i mirror/country string manual
> d-i mirror/http/hostname string http.us.debian.org
> d-i mirror/http/directory string /debian
> d-i mirror/http/proxy http://172.16.4.104:3142/  #This line?

Leave the slash off e.g.:-
d-i mirror/http/proxy http://172.16.4.104:3142

> ###
>
> It should work right?

Now it will :)

> Now  I ran into some other problems. Only a few computers are able to
> find the PXE server
> Not all.
> Is there a limit on the number of machines that can be installed at a
> time using a PXE server?

Yes, sort of.
If they all boot simultaneously e.g. you're using WOL to start the
install then you may encounter problems with DNS. Try extending timeouts
or staggering the boots.
TFTP doesn't handle more than about 100 simultaneous installations - the
solution there is to use GPXE (which also allows greater flexibility
with the location of the server) - and use http instead of tftp. For
more than 1000 simultaneous installs I'd suggest GPXE with http via slamd.

> Thanks for all your support! I finally got the apt-cacher-ng part working.

I love apt-cacher-ng (we're just good friends, 'really'). Apt-cacher and
squid are also good for the same thing - but apt-cacher-ng has much
lower resource requirements. Glad to hear it's all working for you. When
it comes to administering all those boxes you might also find Steve
Kemps debian-admin site interesting:-
http://debian-administration.org/

Kind regards