On 2/1/14, Steven Rosenberg <stevenhrosenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had success with suspend by adding resume=/path/to/swap to my GRUB
> bootline.
>
> To find your /path/to/swap, use:
>
> $ swapon -s

Suspend has usually worked for me, without any swap partition.

However, the kernel has been where the significant differences lie in
my experience:

3.12-1-rt version 3.12.6-2 booted, version 3.12.8-1 does not
3.12-1-amd64 latest, boots, and usually suspends, but sometimes gives
black screen.
I think I had consistent suspending/hibernating with 3.9, but can't
remember properly sorry.

To OP: try the 3.12 kernel and see how you go. No promises. And I have
experienced the non-suspending but black screen, here and there, in
particular with some kernels.
I think the black screen is just the screensaver - the early part of
the suspend process succeeds (lock the screen), but the actual
suspending doesn't.

I haven't yet had time to learn how to debug suspend/hibernate issues.
I just try another kernel and hope.