Hi,

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:03:07PM +0800, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I tried to use rdesktop, it showed me
>
> ERROR: getaddrinfo: No address associated with hostname

That means that you've tried to connect to a non-resolvable hostname
(i.e. no hostname → IP association). No more, no less.
Quick-and-dirty solution for that is using IP address of the host
instead.

> I was advised by our admin that "It is something to do with the RDP
> version on Linux. It has some compatibility issues with the more recent
> version of MS-RDP. "

While there may be such incompatibility (rdesktop is an implementation
of a reverse-engineered protocol, after all), such claim is showing one
of two things:

a) The person in question have no desire to solve your problem.

b) The person in question is not qualified enough to solve your problem.

> Further, I was told to try use window to connect to that window machine
> in order to access some software.

And, did it work?

> I checked the debian package, seems currently the one I use is the
> latest version, any suggestion about how to resolve it without resorting
> to the Windows.

You use latest version packaged in the Debian. The latest upstream
version, according to [1] is 1.8.1, which is one minor version above
Debian Unstable.

Still, given that this problem is with the resolving hostname, not RDP
incompatibility - I doubt that upgrading to the latest upstream version
will solve anything (or, for example, replacing rdesktop with freerdp
will).

[1] http://www.rdesktop.org/

Reco