Hi.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:52:45AM +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
> I have noticed this with systemd, too. Under SysV, you can have a line
> like the above and it's treated as "If the above device is available,
> mount it, otherwise display an error (but the boot will continue to run,
> if possible)". Under systemd, though, the assumption appears to be that
> if you listed it in /etc/fstab, then it's a dependency for boot. So
> mount service will wait for a minute or so for the device to become
> ready and, if it doesn't (because the device isn't plugged in), you'll
> get dropped to an emergency shell. You could get around this by adding
> "noauto" to the options, but then the device won't get mounted at all.

Debian's sysvinit works like that. RedHat's sysvinit drops to
single-user in these circumstances.
Guess which sysvinit behaviour was copied in systemd.

> I don't know (haven't looked actually, but I hope some kind soul knows
> the answer) if there's an option that says "This device is optional, but
> if it IS there, mount it at boot".

fstab(5) mentions 'nofail' mount option, which should mean 'do not
report errors for this device if it does not exist'.

But, given systemd insists on using its' own mount implementation, I'm
not sure whenever systemd honors this flag.

Reco