On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:22:02PM +0000, Frank Miles wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 20:50:01 +0100, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 06:35:25PM +0000, Frank Miles wrote:
> >> I'm having problems setting the vim configuration -
> >> and having it mean something - in a fairly new computer.
> >> One simple example is the tab stops.  Since I'm the
> >> only direct user of this machine, I've simply edited
> >> /etc/vim/vimrc, where I have the line:
> >>    set tabstop=4
> >> In addition, I've appended the line
> >>    set ts=4
> >> to some of the 'plugin' files, for example:
> >>    /usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/python.vim

The only entry in my ..syntax/pthon.vim with ts=8 is the modeline at
the bottom.  This would only have an effect with python.vim is opened.
It would not effect the editing of Python files.

> >> {the normal ending line with ts=8 has been commented-out;
> >> otherwise the plugin file is unaltered from the Debian original}.
> >>
> >> However when I open a python file, it's obvious that
> >> 8-space tabs are being used.  Doing a set: shows that
> >>    softtabstop=4
> >> But there is no
> >>    tabstop=4
> >> whereas opening a 'C' file will achieve the latter (and
> >> 'proper' spacing.
> >>
> >> The file is recognized as python - the keywords are highlighted
> >> as expected.  Manually entering the set ts=4 sets things right.

Are there any modelines in this file?
Does this issue occur with all Python files or just this one?
Can you post an example?

--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmah...@gmail.com