On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 04:05:48 +0000 (UTC), Frank Mile wrote:

> I should have added one more interesting detail.  If I comment out the
> (python) plugin call in /etc/vim/vimrc:
>      if has("autocmd")
>       filetype plugin indent on
>      endif
>
> then the tabstops work without the manual override.  Having, of course,
> lost all the nice stuff associated with the plugin.  Just to make sure
> I hadn't messed up the plugin I commented-out the 'set ts=4' that I
> had appended to the plugin - no change in its behavior :(

Frank, try this:
$ locate python.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/python.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim74/indent/python.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/python.vim

I'd say your issue is caused by the fact that all that three scripts
are loaded when you edit python files.

According to vim help (see :help filetypes) the "filetype plugin indent on"
command that you have enabled in /etc/vim/vimrc actually means the
following:

- vim tries to detect the type of the file that is edited (e.g. let's
  suppose the file type is my_file_type)
- vim loads the appropriate plugin script:
  /usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/my_file_type.vim
- vim loads the appropriate indent script:
  /usr/share/vim/vim74/indent/my_file_type.vim

Moreover, if the syntax highlighting is enabled in vim (:syntax on)
then the appropriate syntax script is also loaded:
/usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/my_file_type.vim

In /usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/python.vim I see the following line:
setlocal expandtab shiftwidth=4 softtabstop=4 tabstop=8

So, it seems that /usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/python.vim is loaded
last and overrides tabstop value set by other scripts.

--rpr.