On 2/18/14, André Nunes Batista <andrenbati...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-02-16 at 11:35 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> Does anyone know if tor arm can be run locally and tunnelled (rather
>> than remotely logging in and viewing the remote instance)? I tried but
>> arm seems to want to still talk to a local tor instance. Sorry this is
>> a separate question.
>
> Did I understand you correctly? You want to use arm on local machine to
> monitor Tor relay on a remote one?

Yes. I thought that would be a simple ssh tunnel away...

> If so, did you try to open on local machine a ssh tunnel to remote port
> 9051 and then firing arm with the "-i" argument?

Yes and yes. And yes, it doesn't work for me.

> It never occurred to me doing so, I usually install arm alongside every
> tor relay.

Of course arm is console, so runs fine in a screen session (which
tracks bandwidth usage over time which is good), but I have a
high-latency link, so it can look a little ugly occasionally and I
thought I'd experiment to see if arm could run locally.

This is my first relay, so just learning the ropes.

Here is my .ssh/config line:
LocalForward localhost:9051 127.0.0.1:9051

and here is my arm command:
arm -i 127.0.0.1:9051

and here is the error shown on the server side (ssh session doing the tunnel):
channel 11: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

and here is the error on the client side (when attempting the above
arm command):
Unable to query PROTOCOLINFO for the authentication type