On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 11:18 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 2/18/14, André Nunes Batista <andrenbati...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2014-02-16 at 11:35 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> >> Does anyone know if tor arm can be run locally and tunnelled (rather
> >> than remotely logging in and viewing the remote instance)? I tried but
> >> arm seems to want to still talk to a local tor instance. Sorry this is
> >> a separate question.
> >
> > Did I understand you correctly? You want to use arm on local machine to
> > monitor Tor relay on a remote one?
>
> Yes. I thought that would be a simple ssh tunnel away...
>

> > If so, did you try to open on local machine a ssh tunnel to remote port
> > 9051 and then firing arm with the "-i" argument?
>
> Yes and yes. And yes, it doesn't work for me.
>

> > It never occurred to me doing so, I usually install arm alongside every
> > tor relay.
>
> Of course arm is console, so runs fine in a screen session (which
> tracks bandwidth usage over time which is good), but I have a
> high-latency link, so it can look a little ugly occasionally and I
> thought I'd experiment to see if arm could run locally.
>
> This is my first relay, so just learning the ropes.
>

> Here is my .ssh/config line:
> LocalForward localhost:9051 127.0.0.1:9051
>
> and here is my arm command:
> arm -i 127.0.0.1:9051
>
> and here is the error shown on the server side (ssh session doing the tunnel):
> channel 11: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> and here is the error on the client side (when attempting the above
> arm command):
> Unable to query PROTOCOLINFO for the authentication type

Hello Zenaan!

I took me some days, but I finally got to try it and was able do to it
exactly as said.

$ ssh -C -L 9055:localhost:9051 user@tornode

on a separate shell:

$ arm -i 127.0.0.1:9055

Which authentication method did you enable on your torrc? I have enabled
hashed control password, so after the second command above, I get asked
for this password before being able to complete the connection.

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80