-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Third-Party Software Needs Non-Debian Format for Kernel
Version
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 01:54:59 +0100
Mailer: Evolution 3.10.4

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Version
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 01:49:25 +0100
Mailer: Evolution 3.10.4

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Version
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 01:35:26 +0100
Mailer: Evolution 3.10.4

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 17:03 -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2014, at 4:20 PM, Thomas Vaughan <tevaug...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > isn't supported per se. But when [the software], or the makefiles,
parse the string
> >      3.12-1-amd64
> > they don't get the expected result. If the uname -r were the string
> >      3.12.9-1
> > then parsing it would yield the expected result.
> > ---END QUOTE FROM VENDOR---
> >
> > Is the reported kernel-version string, "3.12-1-amd64", something
that I could change by compiling a custom kernel?

> Might a shell script that output the expected string work?

Or link or what ever? I don't understand what the software is doing,
that the output of uname -r doesn't fit to some other string.

More information is needed.

Sure, Debian packages might be named 3.x for kernels 3.x.y, 3.x.z,
3.x.n. I like this, since I don't need to manually fix my manually
customized grub.cfg, when such a kernel is upgraded and especially those
kernels are updated and older versions automatically will be removed,
while kernels build by myself are never touched.