On 22/02/14 13:20, Thomas Vaughan wrote:

>>> Might a shell script that output the expected string work?
>>
>> Or sed?
>> Or export?
>> Or, um, more information about what Debian release is being used and the
>> "third-party" software. :)
>
> If the compiled program calls the uname() system call, then script-related
> fixes
> won't work. I don't have the source to the compiled program.

Aaah - more information makes a difference. Yes - sed won't work with
compiled (though you can often make simple changes in a compiled file
with a binary editor - simpler than NOP hops).

an alias will work.

> I'm running Debian testing (jessie).
>
>> Kind regards
>
> And kind regards to you for replying so promptly to my plea for help!
>
> What I'm wondering is whether I can get uname to return the desired
> format by somehow compiling a custom kernel.

Long way - try an alias first - it 'should' work fine. (The Debian
promise applies - if it breaks you get to keep both pieces).

> If so, then any help doing that properly would be appreciated.

Kind regards