On Thu 03 Apr 2014 at 00:19:50 +0100, Brian wrote:

> The interesting aspect is that ~/.xsessionrc is sourced by Xsession
> before 50x11-common_determine-startup is sourced. I'd interpret that as
> having the environment set up before X starts.

As to why we have 40x11-common_xsessionrc; it started life with #411639:

 Apparently, there is no file at all where a number of environment
 variables can be exported (e.g. PATH) and which will retain their value
 during the whole X session.
 ~/.xsession is not a good option since it requires e.g. "exec startkde"
 to be there at the end, while the choice of DE is already taken care of
 by e.g. gdm (login manager), and more  specifically /etc/gdm/Xsession.
 ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile don't work either, since all shells in
 which the Xsession scripts run seem to be sh shells. ~/.profile isn't an
 option since the shells aren't login shells.
 It seems to me that an extra file similar to
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources
 would be an interesting  option. This file should source a certain file
 in the user's home dir (e.g. ~/.xprofile ?) in such a way that all
 variable declarations there are exported to the whole X session which
 shall be launched by another Xsession.d script.

The arguments involving ~/.xsession, ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile and
~/.profile deserve some thought.

Having settled the question on what the purpose of ~/.xessionrc is there
is another interesting aspect arising from its existence. I'm a bit
concerned that it is indeed not "forbidden" to put other things in it.
Leaving aside bugs which might arise and using startx

  xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources

or

  exec /usr/bin/fvwm

seem innocent enough. But are they? Xsession.options(5).