On 27/04/14 05:36, Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two computer that I want to connect directly, similarly as I did
> long time ago with Null-Modem cable ( or LapLink cable).
>
> I have obtained a crossover ethernet cable that I plug in network card
> of each computer. Now the problem is how to configure eth0 on both
> computer so they can communicate.
>
> In /etc/hosts on both computers I have
> 192.168.231.2   neolit
> 192.168.231.3   paleolit

All good so far.

> On one computer I have this entry in /etc/network/interfaces
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>     address 192.168.231.3
>     pointopoint 192.168.231.2
>     netmask 255.255.255.255

I don't know if pointopoint can work with ethernet cards, but anyway
there's no need for it.

Just use (on paleolit):

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 192.168.231.3
  netmask 255.255.255.0

... and change the address appropriately on the other one. You don't
need to tell it explicitly where to find the other machine; the netmask
says that 192.168.231.* are all on that network.

Richard