On 04/26/2014 08:56 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
On 27/04/14 05:36, Martin wrote:
Hello,

I have two computer that I want to connect directly, similarly as I did
long time ago with Null-Modem cable ( or LapLink cable).

I have obtained a crossover ethernet cable that I plug in network card
of each computer. Now the problem is how to configure eth0 on both
computer so they can communicate.

In /etc/hosts on both computers I have
192.168.231.2   neolit
192.168.231.3   paleolit
All good so far.

On one computer I have this entry in /etc/network/interfaces
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.231.3
     pointopoint 192.168.231.2
     netmask 255.255.255.255
I don't know if pointopoint can work with ethernet cards, but anyway
there's no need for it.

The netmask is obviously wrong.

point-to-point is 31 bit - the last octet of the netmask  is 254.

if the op wants to have a smallest possible subnetwork than he can go with 30 bit - 255.255.255.254.

Regards,
Alex