>> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:02 AM, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeif...@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> I've never had a car stop dead due to the idle mixture going out of
>> spec.  When something has gone seriously enough wrong with one of my
>> cars to stop it, the fact that it had a carburetor (as my daily driver,
>> a '78 Chrysler Newport, does) or a computer has been totally
>> irrelevant.

Dear Joe,

I fear you really missed the point.

Some years ago 4 stroke engines workings where fully explained in the theory
books
you perused to get your driving license.

A driver could learn fix and tune the working of his machine, and become able
patch the car to reach the nearest maintenance facility, since the engine was
both
simpler and it's working well documented and known.

The same is true for the boot process.

System V init is simpler, well documented and well known (maybe a bit less well
known with dependecy based boot). Systemd could give better performance, like
computer controlled I.C. engines. But as with computer controlled engines, some
of
those who were able to tinker with the boot process will lose this 'feature'
(freedom?),
maybe without any noticeable benefit.

--
Gian Uberto Lauri