Op Sat, 31 May 2014 09:09:22 +0200 schreef Horatio Leragon <hlera...@yahoo.com>:

After installation or uninstallation of software, I am quite sure there are unwanted files and orphaned dependencies lying around.

How do I do a spring cleaning of my OS?

Try the following commands:

$ sudo apt-get autoremove --purge

This command will search and remove packages and his configuration with no dependencies. But maybe you like/ need the package

$ deborphan

Prints (default option) a list of libraries which are unused. You can remove these packages with
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge `deborphan`
(deborphan can also search for programs that are orphaned, but I will get a lot of false positives)

$ cruft

Cruft search for files on your system which doesn't belong to a package. It is up to you to decide if you need these files or not.

floris