________________________________
 From: Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, June 6, 2014 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie.
enable internet access)?

> This script'll remove linux-image-generic and the kernel will no longer be
> upgraded automatically.

What do you mean by "kernel will no longer be upgraded automatically"? What's
your definition of "automatically"?

Just today, I upgraded my kernel to the latest offered by Debian.

> And if your box has Secure Boot (even disabled), the corresponding
> linux-signed-* packages will be installed and won't be purged.

I don't understand what you meant by "the corresponding linux-signed-* packages
will be installed and won't be purged"? (After I run that command, I type $sudo
apt-get autoremove and $aptitude search '~c' and $sudo aptitude purge '~c'   In
my case, I manage to remove about 180MB of unwanted software.)

Can you provide a command for me to try out your assumption?

I have tried the command

dpkg --list 'linux-image-*' \
    | perl -ane 'BEGIN { $r = `uname -r` or die; chomp $r } print $F[1], "\n"
if $F[0] eq "ii" && $F[1] !~ /\Q$r\E\b/' \
    | xargs -r aptitude purge -y

without problems and it was posted on a very popular forum frequented by Linux
experts in the world wide web. If Linux experts had issues with it, they would
have highlighted it several moons ago.