On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 23:17:50 +1200
Chris Bannister <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:56:15AM +0400, Reco wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 17:48:37 +1200
> > Chris Bannister <cbannis...@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> > > NO it isn't merged!!! Please stop spreading FUD!
> >
> > Why exactly it is FUD? [1] clearly shows us that udev has the same
> > source as systemd does.
> >
> > [1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/udev
>
> It certainly appears that way, but this message:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/02/msg00845.html
> is more enlightening?

It sure is. I'd prefer a quote from udev or systemd maintainer (see
[1]), but this should do.

So, the man says:

AFAIK this has nothing at all to do with systemd, other than udev
sharing its git repository and a certian amount of FUD possibly going
on.

Ok. This means that:

1) If one wants to build udev from the source, one has to pull entire
systemd git repo. No big deal, but:

2) One can not build udev while not building all tree, upstream doesn't
want to support it [2]. No big deal again (build-dependencies count
only for build purposes), besides:

3) One can run udev without running systemd. Upstream agrees that it's
possible (again, [2]). Still:

4) If one wants to submit patch against udev, one has to evaluate said
patch against the whole git tree, which (pure coincidence, of course) is
systemd git tree.

So, maybe 'merged' is a wrong word to describe udev-systemd
relationship. But it fits.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=joeyh

[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-June/005516.html

Reco