On 06/16/2014 09:43 AM, Brian wrote:
On Tue 17 Jun 2014 at 00:40:14 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:34:58AM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Montag, 16. Juni 2014, 10:11:00 schrieb Chris Bannister:
I am now using it. I don't like how it starts X in the first available
TTY but I guess I'll get used to it or spend a few days reading the docs
and see what the workaround is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToNK2-JuQMs
How, not here. systemd 208 from experimental in Debian Sid.

X still on tty7.
Ahh, OK. Must have been reverted. systemd-sysv - Installed: 204-8
Candidate: 204-8 Running Jessie.

X running on TTY3 at present, a bit of a pain when switching TTY's. :(
Maybe you are using startx and Martin Steigerwald isn't. If you want X
on vt7

    startx -- vt7

On the other hand, not running X on the console you started it from with
startx brings a raft of other problems.
How so? Unless you are referring specifically to running under systemd? Under Wheezy and SysV my wife, daughter and I are each logged into separate console vts. We each have an alias to startx which loads X on vt7 for me, vt8 for my wife and vt9 for my daughter. Works like a charm. We are each just a ctl-alt-fx away from our own programs and configurations. We always know exactly where "our" stuff is, since that is independent of the console that we log on to. If that is going to change under systemd then that is a reason for me to avoid the switch if at all possible.

Marc