On 06/17/2014 10:38 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 09:43 AM, Brian wrote:

>> On the other hand, not running X on the console you started it from
>> with startx brings a raft of other problems.
>
> How so?  Unless you are referring specifically to running under
> systemd?  Under Wheezy and SysV my wife, daughter and I are each
> logged into separate console vts.  We each have an alias to startx
> which loads X on vt7 for me, vt8 for my wife and vt9 for my daughter.
> Works like a charm.  We are each just a ctl-alt-fx away from our own
> programs and configurations.  We always know exactly where "our"
> stuff is, since that is independent of the console that we log on to.

And you don't have X running on the console which you started it from -
unless the console where you ran the 'startx' command was vt7, vt8, or
vt9, respectively.

> If that is going to change under systemd then that is a reason for me
> to avoid the switch if at all possible.

According to my understanding from the discussions I've read: under
systemd, if you run 'startx' with no options from vt1, it will cause X
to launch on vt1 - whereas under sysvinit, doing that will cause X to
launch on vt7.

If you're explicitly specifying the vt to use in your startx command
(which I think you may be, from your mention of launch aliases for the
different X sessions), I *think* that should continue to work, but I'm
not remotely an expert on this. I would strongly advise you to read up
on the subject, or even (if opportunity permits) to experiment, e.g. in
a VM.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.