On 20/09/14 01:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 19/09/2014, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.u...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Have you successfully run any version of Skype on that build previously?
>>

> In a message posted last month, was;

Which'd be why I didn't read it.

> "

*If* that's the same build, then install the same version (2.2 beta) and
then change it's version number to 2.4x.

If you have not kept an old version - either download one from one of
the "old-software" archives, or let me know and I'll email you one (I
have 2.2.x and 2.3.x versions).

> It worked, so Microsoft broke it.

It's their software. Complaining that a for-profit company ceases to
keep paying for your use of old software - after a number of years, on a
platform that's no longer supported, seems, um, somewhat unreasonable.
Especially if the stated reasons for not using an alternative is the
logically recursive excuse that "not enough people use it". Presumably
that's not how you meant your comment to read.

> "
>
> and
>
> "
> :~# dpkg -l skype|tail -n1|tr -s ' '|cut -d ' ' -f3
> 2.2.0.35-1
> "
>
> That version of Skype, was from when it was Skype Skype, before it
> became Microsoft Skype.
>
> It installed without problem, and, was able to be configured and run,
> without significant problems. The only problems, in configuration,
> were, from memory, choosing the device drivers for the sound input and
> output devices. Once they were set right, it worked okay.
>
> And so, Microsoft broke it

You said that before. You also posted error logs that show your problem
is that your system *can not run* the software - not because you can run
the software but are denied access to the network because the version
number is not the 2.4.x   :/

Kind regards