----- Original Message -----
> From: "lee" <l...@yun.yagibdah.de>
>
> Hi,
>
> what's the Debian or Linux equivalent to MS Windows terminal server
> sessions through the remote desktop thing they have?
>
> I would like to be able to let a user work remotely in an X11 session
> (preferably with fvwm, if I have to xfce, if it can't be avoided gnome
> --- KDE only crashes in vncserver) on a VM running Debian.  The user can
> either get a thin client (which I'd have to buy) or an older Mac for a
> client system.  It would be an advantage if it was possible to do this
> transparently for the user.  It would also be nice if I could limit the
> total memory usage for that user.  The client is connected through 1GB
> LAN.  If Linux can be installed on the Mac, that might also be an
> option.
>
> So far, neither vncserver, nor freenx are ideal.  Vncserver is rather
> awkward, freenx is ancient.  LTSP seems way overdone for this and
> apparently requires suitable thin clients.

LTSP would give you the ability to have sound on your thin client, rather than
the video-only you'd get with X11 forwarding.  LTSP can use old
desktops/laptops as thin clients.  They only need to be able to PXE boot.  I've
never tested it with a Mac, though, so I don't know if there are any important
differences there.  I have used Pentium 3 desktops as thin clients, and they do
work.  But I'd recommend something more modern with more RAM and a decent video
card.

-Rob