2014/09/21 21:52 "lee" <l...@yun.yagibdah.de>:

> Hi,
>
> what's the Debian or Linux equivalent to MS Windows terminal server
> sessions through the remote desktop thing they have?
>
> I would like to be able to let a user work remotely in an X11 session
> (preferably with fvwm, if I have to xfce, if it can't be avoided gnome
> --- KDE only crashes in vncserver) on a VM running Debian.  The user can
> either get a thin client (which I'd have to buy) or an older Mac for a
> client system.  It would be an advantage if it was possible to do this
> transparently for the user.  It would also be nice if I could limit the
> total memory usage for that user.  The client is connected through 1GB
> LAN.  If Linux can be installed on the Mac, that might also be an
> option.
>
> So far, neither vncserver, nor freenx are ideal.  Vncserver is rather
> awkward, freenx is ancient.  LTSP seems way overdone for this and
> apparently requires suitable thin clients.

How old is the Mac, what CPU, how much memory, hard disk, etc., does the
user need to keep access to the stuff on it (dual boot or VM), etc.?

Search the debian web  site for "mac" to see the options for installing
debian on the mac. Fedora was also installable on PPC Macs when I last
looked. Just about any Linux should be installable or runnable as a VM  on
an Intel Mac.

openbsd and netbsd are probably also options. Last time I checked, Freebsd
for PPC was still only for the adventurous, etc.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text